Flash News

"जिबन पर्यन्त शिक्षाका लागि पुस्तकालय (Library for lifelong education)"

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Books are the biggest joys of life

The Kathmandu Post
Mar 29, 2017

Pitamber Sharma is a noted scholar who has authored various books about the Himalayan region and the different facets of development in Nepal. A former professor and development worker, Sharma talks about his love for reading and the missing links he has spotted in Nepali literature and its readership in this conversation with The Post’s Samikshya Bhattarai. Excerpts:

·         Are you more passionate about reading or writing?
I write only once in a blue moon and mostly because it is an integral part of my profession. However, I am a voracious reader. I started reading back in my school days where we used to have compulsory library classes every Friday. The mandatory classes turned into routine and routine turned into fondness. By the time I started college, I felt the need to visit the library every day and just devour every good book that came my way. Even today, I dedicate few hours of my day to reading.

·         What importance does reading hold in your life?
For me, reading has always held the centre stage in my life. The beauty of reading is that the more you read, the more you want to read. You just keep craving for more because it makes you happy. Reading induces a sense of curiosity. For example, recently I finished reading a book about Ashoka the emperor and it got me so fascinated about the ancient civilisations that before long I started getting my hands on all kinds of book about Genghis Khan, Alexander, and Napoleon. Reading helps you expand your horizon. Reading also lets you experience things that you wouldn’t be able to otherwise. We as human beings are given only one life, but reading helps us experience multiple lives through written history and fiction. Hence, reading is an utmost necessity and one of the biggest joys in life.

·         How do you choose what to read?
Back in the day I would just browse books from the library. The choices were initially just hit and trial; but the more I read, the more I understood what I want to read. I discovered the authors worth reading and the genres that got me hooked. Today, the internet has made it much easier. I can easily look up reviews before getting my hands on a book. I am also a member of the Fullbright alumni community where I get instantly notified when a good book comes out in the market.

·         As a former professor, what do you think is important to encourage readership?
Accessibility plays a big role in developing a reading habit. Unfortunately, the number of libraries is limited and ever decreasing in our country. It is also sad that majority of the population does not have an easy access to free reading materials, thanks to lack of importance given to public libraries. And there are only few (if at all) book clubs that could encourage and ignite the passion for readership.
To encourage readership it is first important to create an environment where readers can thrive. Our country needs book clubs and libraries that can serve readers from all walks of life.  We need platforms where readers can engage in discussions and have ease of access to good reading materials.

·         What is your favourite genre?
I don’t have a favourite genre as such; I read all kinds of fiction and non-fiction books. But because of my profession, geography, economics and socio-political books do fascinate me more than others. Yet, I believe that every book comes with its own set of value and importance and it’s always a good idea to engage with as many genres as possible.

·         What for you makes good writing?
For me good writing is simple and comprehensive. A work of writing can be considered good if it resonates with the readers. It should be able to touch lives and make an impact. But, simplicity doesn’t mean frivolity. A work can be simple yet arouse good arguments and reasons. But then again, writing varies from one person to another and it would not be fair to point out only one way as the right way of writing.

·         What advice do you have for readers?
I would foremost advise the readers to read as much as possible. Reading is very important.  If you are confused about where to start, choose randomly and read a variety of books until you finally decide what genre and which author you connect to best.

Source: The Kathmandu Post (Online) 



No comments:

Post a Comment